Friday, September 29, 2006

Prayer Requests:

*For Nah Eh Yoh, Baadim Suh, and Phillip Chung to be open to The Word of God.
*For my sister Esther who recently moved to Oklahoma for an internship
*For my fellow brothers and sisters here at ENM who or are reaching out to others...and for those others they are reaching out to! = )
*For my English class to go smoothly (explained below)
*For me to be able to memorize Bible verses verbatim (also explained below)
*For me to be healthy (some lower back pain from sitting on the ground too much and for my stomach to be able to cope with the food here)

*And of course it is always a given to always pray for family and other loved ones!

Those three I mentioned above I am working on bringing to Christ. The first is a Japanese student learning Korean for her job, the second is a Korean-Russian getting ready for College, and the third is a Korean-American taking a year off from Villanova to study abroad. Please pray that I can plant the seed in them and to show them what it means to be a Christian.

I just got back from eating lunch with my fellow brothers after they evanglized on campus, but during lunch we conversed about how things went and so forth...anyway, our director here said he wanted me to start a small group to whom I would teach English. Of course I am going to. I want to be able to reach as many people as possible! Allow me to infrom you about the education process here in Korea...

Besides going to school, most students here also have private tutors or go to special Academies in order to stay at the top of their classes...and I mean 'til the wee hours in the morning. Education is extremely important here...so if you can make it into one of the top Universities, like the Harvard and Yale's of Korea, then you can get a good job...but if you can't...well, yeah. Anyway, since there are a lot of people wanting to go the these colleges and because so many of them are smart, students try and get a leg up on the competition by speaking English well. I think it's over-emphasized...even though it's nice for me since I'm not that great at Korean. English tutors here make anywhere from $20 to $50+ an hour...yeah... parents are willing to dish out the cash for these "extra learning sessions." Obviously this doesn't make it fair to the poorer students in Korea...yeah, I know, this also happens in America, but it definitely is not as big a problem. Anyway, I want to provide this free English learning opportunity for those my fellow brothers and sisters here at ENM are witnessing to while at the same time I want to do some private tutoring so that I can buy lunch for more people that I am witnessing to buy gifts for them etc...But if you would pray that this would work out, I would appreciate it so much!

Still continuing the Bible Studies and QT sharing Times and such...also reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis...I learned so much but it would take forever to explain it all! The Key points: Pride is the complete anti-Christ--the Devil tried to reach equality with God...we should not think that things will be rosy if we are righteous--examine Job in the Bible... We all try to reach happiness in our own way (through doing good works, having power, etc) but we will continue to be discontent because Jesus Christ is the only bridge to God...God gave us this freedom in this life to be really good or to be really evil -- it's up to us if we want to believe His Word or not.

Please continue to pray so that we can remain strong in The Word.

Right now I am working on memorizing the first 60 verses according to the Navigator's Topical memory system (ENM is a part of the Navigators and uses a lot of their resources for Bible Studies and such). All of the other brothers here have already memorized it
http://www.navigators.org/us/resources/illustrations/items/Topical%20Memory%20System

and are now working on the next set of 180!!! The reason why they are so determined to memorize verses: "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11

This past week I memorized the first 16 in a so-so manner (only in English), meaning that I only knew 9 completely. I knew them all with getting the first couple of words...but still, 9 out of 16 isn't so good... in fact, that's failing = (.

Yeah, yesterday I was Discipled by an older member of ENM and was I was told that I need to slow down and work on reviewing them instead of always going on to the next verse...so what's going to help me slow down is by also memorizing them in Korean...Please pray that I will have the patience and diligence to do this!

As always, if you have any prayer requests, please email them to me sam86kim@gmail..com or comment them here so that others will also be able to pray for you.

Thank you for all of your support! I really appreciate it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you've started reading Mere Christianity! What other books are on your reading list?

Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home